You’ve witnessed countless brides interpret these words in the same old conventional fashion (the handkerchief is old, the dress is new, the earrings are borrowed and the garter is blue). But this is your wedding, and you’ve never been one to follow the crowd. Take heart. Here are some ideas to make your wedding unique and memorable.
* A vintage engagement ring or wedding band
* The veil your grandmother wore in her wedding
* Vintage buttons on your wedding dress
* Your favorite lipstick
* Your signature perfume
* Antique lace tied around your bouquet
This is where it can get really fun; after all, who could deny you a perfectly sensible excuse to go shopping? Think of the possibilities…
* Your wedding gown
* Jewelry: a sparkling bracelet, earrings or a classic pearl necklace (if not a gift from your groom, then one to yourself — you deserve it)
* The perfect shoes
* Elegant silk gloves
* A glittering tiara (what better time to be princess for a day)
Just because it’s new doesn’t mean you have to purchase it.
* A brand new penny for your shoe
* Freshly picked garden flowers for your bouquet
Your friends and family will be thrilled to help you with this item; however, it may be a bit tricky deciding what to borrow from whom. One of the most traditional choices is also one of the loveliest — borrowing a gown from your mother or grandmother. If that is not an option, read on.
* The earrings your grandmother wore at her wedding
* The adorable little bag your best friend carried at hers
* Your aunt’s veil or headpiece
* Your sister’s wedding shoes
* Money from your parents or his (for the wedding or honeymoon)
We aren’t sure who launched the blue garter craze, but we do know it’s still alive in the 21st century. While a lacy blue garter is a viable option, the following are a few fresh alternatives.
* Blue flowers in your bouquet, such as hydrangeas
* Lingerie with touches of blue
* Ice blue toenail polish
* A dramatic blue-red lipstick
* Tiny blue details, such as flowers, scattered on a long veil
* A delicate pale blue barrette
* A beautiful blue Austrian crystal
* A blues band at your reception
* Shoes! It is getting to be the most popular blue item for brides today.