Destination weddings are highly popular, yet many have been postponed due to Covid-19. If you are getting married within the next year or so, a professional videographer is a great idea.
You might get by with phone cameras but the right wedding video pro will make it brilliant!
Video has been around for a long time, and as the equipment has continues to improve, so has the production value of some of the videos that are now a part of most weddings. But there are a few problems the advance in technology can’t solve. When planning your wedding video, keep these in mind:
- Cell phones generally don’t do well in low light and offer poor, maybe even terrible sound quality. You probably have a few friends and family that would be happy to help you out with your wedding video and use their phones for you but you are unlikely to be happy with the results. Macro photography may be possible on your phone, but it is not wise to use your phone for videos.
- Photographers are, for the most part, not all that skilled when it comes to taking video. A good photographer has the ability to compose shot beautifully but it just isn’t the same as framing a video. For great wedding videos, you should look for a videographer.
- Not all videographers know how to make the process of capturing a professional wedding video fun for all the subjects. They can be intrusive and actually spoil the fun. The right videographer will work to capture your wedding video in a way that makes him or her almost invisible.
- While invisible for most of your special day is a good thing for the videographer capturing your wedding video that doesn’t mean there should be some planned sections that will be specifically staged and captured. For example, you and your videographer can plan how best to shoot things like the cutting of the cake and the Best Man’s toast while still leaving flexibility for all those fun moments that just happen.
- Weddings and the wedding video is often a compilation of scenes that require certain artistic skills to pull together into an enjoyable film. Not all videographers are great editors and not all editors are capable videographers. Look at the finished wedding videos they have put together for others and if you don’t enjoy watching them you ought to look for someone else.
These are just some of the keys to getting a wedding video you will enjoy for years to come, so as you look for the right videographer for your wedding videos. Do take the time to look at various examples of the wedding videographer’s past work. Don’t settle for just one either. The videographer might just show you his best first with the hope that you won’t ask to see anything else. If you can do it, look at 3 or more different professional wedding videos and if all 3 are well made then you might just have the makings of a great wedding video and a great videographer to pull it all together for you.